Thursday, August 11, 2011

Chapter 26

“So...you guys have been eating here for a couple days.” David noted while perusing the menu in the hotel restaurant. “What’s good?”

“The surf and turf is pretty tasty.” Tori answered, shifting in her chair in search of a more comfortable position.  Walking was okay, as long as she kept to a slow pace, but sitting was still a little uncomfortable.

“I thought the rice pudding was especially....flavourful.” Richie added, his dark gaze fixed on his wife.

Tori met his eyes and smirked.

Seeing the look that passed between the couple, David’s interest perked. “Yeah? What about the berries and vanilla? Was the temperature okay? Not too hot?”

Tori stared at him, then switched her gaze to her husband who shifted in his chair and appeared to be engrossed in his menu. And they say women are the only ones who share intimate details with their friends! She turned back to David. “It was fine.”

“So....do you think Karin would like it?”

Ah. That explained his interest. “Yes, but probably just a small bowl.”

“Gotcha.”

Jon cleared his throat and changed the subject. “I’d like to do something different tonight with Tori here. Anyone got any ideas?”

“I’ve been thinking about that.” Richie sipped his Diet Coke and sat back. “During the Jukebox, we could do a little acoustic thing, or she and Shirley could do something on the keys.”

Tori sat back and listened to them toss around song and arrangement ideas like she wasn’t even there. “I’m sitting right here you know.” At their surprised expressions, she continued. “Don’t you want to ask me what I like, or if I can even play those songs?”

Jon blinked. “Richie knows what you can play....and what you like.”

There was too much truth in that statement to argue....much. “So, because my husband - your wingman - knows me so well, you don’t feel it’s necessary to let me speak for myself?”

Tico looked under the table, trying to determine if he could fit. David winced and sat back hoping to get out of the line of fire. Richie eyed his wife warily and rushed to try to defuse the Bongiovi temper before it erupted.

“I’m sorry angel, we didn’t mean to ignore you.  Do you have any suggestions of what you’d like to do?”

“Well, I could do a little Heart or Amanda Marshall, or any of what you’ve discussed. My complaint isn’t with your choices,” she looked at her brother, “it’s with not being included in the conversation.”

“It’s my show.” Jon reminded her.

“And that gives you the final say.” Tori leaned towards him. “But it doesn’t give you the right to deny me common courtesy. I don’t work for you Jon, I’m performing as a guest. I would appreciate being treated as such.”

Jon grimaced. “I know. I’m sorry.” He looked at her in amazement. “You sure have that ‘I’m so disappointed in your behaviour’ voice down pat.”

“She’s female.” David muttered. Tico gave him an elbow in the ribs.

With a grateful glance at Tico, Tori directed her response to her brother. “It comes with being a mother.....and having to deal with you lot! You guys are the biggest kids of all!”

“Mama?  Me have chicken figners....pease?”

Tori smiled down at her son, then smugly at the men. “Since you asked so politely Peanut, yes you may.”

Leaving the restaurant, David blew out a breath. “So, what’s the plan?”

Jon’s blue eyes narrowed. “I think my sister needs a reminder of who the boss is. Come on.”

They walked towards the elevators...all except Richie, who hung back, uncertainty written all over his face. At Jon’s raised brow, he grimaced, but gave in. “Okay, but if this gets me in trouble with my wife, I’m not suffering alone.”

Tori watched the band members walking off together, but her attention was brought back to her children before she could ask where they were going.

“Mama! Gotta pee. And ‘Oren stinks.”





The show was going well. The roar of the crowd when Tori stepped onto the stage warmed her heart and dispelled the last of the nervous jitters. Accepting the acoustic guitar Takumi handed her, she sat gingerly, wincing slightly, on the stool Richie indicated. She waited for him to sit beside her and glanced at David for her cue her to start. They played an extended, intricate instrumental intro to Bad Medicine while Jon sucked back half a bottle of water.

Towards the end of the song, Jon went through his typical motions with arms and hips, testing to see if the rest were watching him.

“Gotta have some fun. We need to have some fun up here. Time to put another quarter in the jukebox!” Jon announced to the audience, who cheered, then quieted, eagerly awaiting whatever he had planned. “Tori, you got one for me?”

Tori played along, setting aside the guitar, climbing off the stool and joining the huddle in the middle of the stage. When the huddle broke, she took a spot between Jon and Richie’s positions and waited for the intro to Heart’s Alone that Jon had finally decided on.

Instead, completely different music came through her monitors. A quick glance at Richie – and seeing the apprehensive look in his eyes – assured her that she was hearing what she was supposed to hear. Turning in the other direction, she met Jon’s smug, taunting look. She stiffened her spine and accepted his unspoken challenge. Nice try bro, but I’m a fan of Stevie Nicks too!

Reaching the white mic stand, Tori turned her back on her brother and crooked a beckoning finger at her husband. You’re involved in this sweetheart, you can sing it with me!

Richie approached her almost warily, but knew he couldn’t get out of it. He just hoped he remembered the words!




Is love so fragile...
and the heart so hollow
Shatter with words...
impossible to follow
You're saying I'm fragile...I try not to be
I search only...for something I can't see

I have my own life...and I am stronger
Than you know
But I carry this feeling
When you walked into my house
That you won't be walking out the door
Still I carry this feeling
When you walked into my house
That you won't be walking out the door

Lovers forever...face to face
My city, your mountains
Stay with me stay
I need you to love me
I need you today
Give to me your leather...
Take from me...my lace

You in the moonlight
With your sleepy eyes
Could you ever love a man like me
And you were right
When I walked into your house
I knew I'd never want to leave
Sometimes I'm a strong man
Sometimes cold and scared
And sometimes I cry
But that time I saw you
I knew with you to light my nights
Somehow I'd get by
First time I saw you
I knew with you to light my nights
Somehow I would get by

Lovers forever...face to face
My city, your mountains
Stay with me stay
I need you to love me
I need you today
Give to me your leather
Take from me...my lace

Lovers forever...face to face
My city ,you mountains...stay with me stay
I need you to love me...I need you to stay
Give to me your leather
Take from me...my lace
Take from me...my lace
Take from me...my lace*





While the crowd cheered, Tori turned and smirked at Jon’s chagrined look. As he moved passed her, she stopped him with a hand on his arm and leaned close so that he could hear her. “Nice try.”

“Brat!” He muttered.  He wasn’t surprised that she knew the song – he wouldn’t have chosen it if he thought she would fall flat on her face and Richie had assured him she was familiar enough with it not to embarrass herself – but he hadn’t expected their performance to be that good! Although if he’d really thought about it, he probably should have.  He either had to come up with a better way to beat her....or just quit trying.

The rest of the show went smoothly, and just as he’d planned.




No, no, no, no! She slammed her laptop closed. Fucking YouTube! She may be all smiles now, but it won’t be for much longer. The tour’s almost over. Time to let Richie know that I’m here and available for him. We can finally be together. Finally be a family. Just like we were meant to be. She looked around at her small L.A. apartment. Won’t have to live in this shitbox much longer. Soon I’ll be living in Westwood. Or maybe I can convince him to buy a place in Malibu. I love to hear the water outside my window.


(*Leather & Lace by Stevie Nicks & Don Henley)

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering who exactly this is! I think it is either Denise or Jasmine?

    ReplyDelete