Thursday, November 3, 2011

Chapter 50

“So what now?” Karin asked after Tori had brought her up to date.
“Now we wait and hope the police can find her. The FBI has been notified and they’re watching all the airports, train stations and ports.”

Karin could hear the strain in her friend’s voice. “How are you holding up?”

“I’m frustrated as hell!” Tori sighed. “Sorry. It’s just...”

“I know.  You thought it was over. Now....”

“And to add insult to injury, now Richie’s insisting on bodyguards wherever the kids and I go.”

Karin winced, knowing how well that would be going over. “He’s just trying to keep you safe.”

“I know, and I appreciate it.  Doesn’t mean I have to like it.”

“But you are going along with it.” It was almost more of a warning that she’d better than a comment.

“Yes mother, I am.” Tori assured her. “Yeesh. You’re worse than my actual mother.”

“Yeah, well sometimes you need to be saved from yourself Miss Independent-I-Can-Take-Care-Of-Myself-I-Don’t-Need-Anyone.  You have a husband to share your life with and who loves you and will do anything to keep you safe and happy. Tori, you need to let him. It’s part of being married. Now, are you going to co-operate or do I have to send David back to harass you?”

Tori smiled wryly. She could always count on Karin to be brutally honest with her – whether she wanted to hear it or not. “I surrender! Keep Shirley there with you and the baby. How is little Josh?”

“Growing like a weed and being spoiled rotten by his big sisters.”

Tori thought of Ava who was spending even more time with them than usual, and most of it with Zachary. “Yeah, they tend to do that.” Then she thought of Lauren. “Well, the older ones anyway.”

“Lauren still jealous?”

“Most of the time she just ignores him. He can being screaming for his dinner right next to her and she won’t even look at him.”

“What about when you hold him?”

“Nothing. Doesn’t faze her at all. Joan either. But when Richie picks him up?  Look out.”

“Daddy’s little girl doesn’t like sharing his attention?”

“Not at all. She’ll try to crawl into his lap or scream and carry on...anything to get his attention. This morning she grabbed Zachary by the foot and tried to pull him out of Richie’s arms. Luckily, she wasn’t strong enough to pull him far, and Richie’s reflexes were quick enough to hang onto him.”

“Ooh boy. What did Richie do?”

“It startled him enough that he spoke sternly to her, reprimanding her for being mean and reminded her she needed to be gentle with the baby.”

“And how did she react to that?”

Remembering, Tori snorted and shook her head. “Put on the best show of a wounded child you’ve ever seen.  The bottom lip came out in a big pout, then started to quiver. Then the tears started. First just two running down her cheeks, then she started to sob. I swear, the way she carried on you’d swear she’d been beaten.”

“And did Richie cave?” She knew how fathers were in the face of their little girls’ tears.

“I thought he was going to, but he didn’t. I think it just about killed him not to though.”

“How long did it take her to get over it?”

“About two minutes. The dog came in and took off with her Elmo again and she had to chase after her.”

Karin chuckled. “And how is Peanut dealing with all this?”

“He has got to be the most laid back kid I’ve ever seen. Nothing seems to bother him. When the baby cries and I’m not in the room, he comes to get me, then goes back to his toys. When Lauren knocks over his blocks – which she does every time he gets them piled up – or the dog jumps on his puzzle, scattering the pieces, he just sighs and gives me a long suffering look.”  

“He’s a good boy.”

“Yes he is. But he’s so calm and quiet, sometimes I have to remind myself to make sure he gets his fair share of the attention, especially with Lauren’s antics.”

“She really is something.”

“Yep. I’m trying not to think what she’s going to be like when she hits the terrible twos.”  Tori shuddered at the thought.

“Never a dull moment in the Sambora household.”

“Nope.”

“Christmas ought to be fun for you this year.”

“Yeah. Luckily Joan’s here to help.”

Karin snorted. “This is me you’re talking to. Don’t try to act like you don’t have everything all done and ready. I know you better than that.”

“Well....I do still have a few things to pick up, but yeah, most of it’s done.”

“You know......I really do hate you sometimes.”

Tori leaned her head back and laughed. “No you don’t. Be nice or I won’t send your presents.”

“You wouldn’t do that. You love my family too much.”

“Don’t tell Shirley that!”






After putting Stevie and Lauren to bed, Tori returned to the living room. Joan was ensconced in a large comfortable armchair, her knitting in her lap while she watched T.V.  Richie was sitting on the end of the couch, his reading glasses perched on the end of his nose, book in his hands. Zachary was in his bassinet at his father’s feet.

Tori bent to adjust the baby’s blanket, then curled up next to her husband, leaning her head to rest against his shoulder and her hands loosely circling his arm.

Warm chocolate eyes shifted to meet hers, one dark brow lifted in inquiry. “Something wrong?”

“No.” She assured him. “Just....a hormone wave.”

He studied her face. “Are you sure that’s all it is?”

“Mmmmhmmm.” She lifted her face to smile at him. “I’m fine.”

“Angel, don’t lie to me.”

Tori grimaced. “Sometimes I wish you didn’t know me so well.”

They both ignored Joan’s snicker.

“Come on, spill. What’s bothering you?” Experience told him letting her bottle it up and stew would only end up hurting them both.

“You mean besides the fact that the whackjob who kidnapped our son is running free out there somewhere?”

He wasn’t going to take the bait. “Yeah. Besides that.”

Tori sighed. “It’s just.....I thought we finally had our fairy tale ending.” Her eyes filled. “And it’s all being ripped apart by one nutjob.”

Richie set aside his book and wrapped both his arms around his wife. “She’s only going to rip it apart if we let her.” Long fingers lifted her chin until their eyes met. “Our family is safe and strong.  And no one is going to change that. I.....we....won’t let them. I promise you angel. She’ll be found and she’ll get what she deserves. But no matter what she does, she’ll never come between us. You are my wife. You – and the kids - are my life. And I will do whatever it takes to keep you safe and happy. I love you.”

Tori sniffed and ignored the tears running down her cheeks. “I love you too.”

He wiped away her tears and kissed her. When their lips parted, Tori tucked her head under his chin and he held her close. Glancing at his mother, he saw her nod in approval.

2 comments: